Mother Jones published a piece (original from TomDispatch) about the issues you will not hear about during this - or any - debate. "Think of these as five hard truths that will determine the future of this country" says the article "What the Presidential Debates Won't Tell You". Five little things:
1. Immediate deficit reduction will wipe out any hope of economic recovery.
2. Taxes are at their lowest point in more than half a century, preventing investment in and the maintenance of America's most basic resources.
3. Neither the status quo nor a voucher system will protect Medicare (or any other kind of health care) in the long run.
4. The US military is outrageously expensive and yet poorly tailored to the actual threats to US national security.
5. The education system is what made this country prosperous in the twentieth century—but no longer.